Mystery Illness : They are all fine

David and Michelle Paul died of a mysterious illness while vacationing in Fiji. Picture: SUPPLIED/ABC News

THE medical and resort staff members who interacted with American tourists David and Michelle Paul are all in good health.

The resort where the late couple were holidaying at has also confirmed that the staff members have returned to work this week.

A senior manager of the health facility that first treated the couple said all his staff members were fine.

The workers were taken in for observation as a precautionary measure by the Ministry of Health and Medical Services because of the “unknown” nature of the illness that befell the late Mr and Mrs Paul.

A senior staff of the Nadi resort where the couple stayed while holidaying in Fiji had confirmed that the four resort workers who were under observation at the Nadi Hospital have returned to work.

In a statement to this newspaper, the senior director said their staff returned to work this week.

“As always, the well being of our guests and associates remains our highest priority,” the director said.

“We are working closely with the authorities as they investigate the matter. The associates on property who were in contact with the affected individuals were isolated as a precautionary measure have since been cleared by the Ministry of Health and have returned to work.”

Meanwhile, the health clinic where the couple had initially sought medical attention continued to operate as normal since last week despite several speculation of the nature and causes of the deaths.

Last week, they referred all queries to the Health Ministry and a senior member of the clinic said a press statement would be issued once investigations were completed.

Health Minister Dr Ifereimi Waqainabete has not responded to queries sent last week, but issued two statements this week where he said the deaths posed no immediate threat to the public and that investigations were being conducted with the support of the World Health Organization, the United States Embassy and the US Centre for Disease Control and the Fiji Police Force.

According to overseas media reports, the family of the deceased said the couple arrived in Fiji on May 22.

A few days later, Mrs Paul told her family they were ill and suffering from diarrhoea, was vomiting and experiencing numbness in their hands.

She succumbed to the unknown illness on May 29 and her husband passed away a few days later.

More Stories