Man charged with murder of young boy to appear in court

Picture: FILE.

A man facing a murder charge for allegedly causing the death of a two-year-old boy earlier this month is expected to appear at the Suva Magistrates Court this afternoon.

Police spokesperson Ana Naisoro said the matter came to light after the child passed away at the Colonial War Memorial Hospital on February 15, 2020.

“A post mortem (examination) was conducted where it was discovered the child died of severe internal injuries whereby investigators at the Totogo Police Station classified the case as murder,” Ms Naisoro said.

She said the 20-year-old suspect who is a family friend had allegedly looked after the child on the day he fell ill.

“The child’s parents took him to the Valelevu Health Center and he was transferred to the Colonial War Memorial Hospital where he was admitted for a short while until he passed away.”

More Stories