COVID-19: Seven deaths and 1220 new cases recorded in Fiji
3 August, 2021, 10:04 pm
COVID-19 infections jumped again in the last 24 hours for the island nation of Fiji as the Ministry of Health reported 1220 new cases and seven deaths recorded over three days.
Ministry of Health permanent secretary Dr James Fong said 464 cases were from the Western Division and 756 cases from the Central Division.
He said there had been 1113 new recoveries reported since the last update that meant there were now 22,689 active cases; 18,506 active cases in the Central Division and 4183 in the West.
The seven deaths were reported between July 31 and August 2.
Dr Fong said six of the deaths were in the Central Division and one in the Western Division, and below are the details:
- A 24-year-old man from Tailevu. He presented to a medical facility in severe respiratory distress. A medical team retrieved him from the facility and on the way to the CWM hospital his condition worsened. He sadly died before reaching the CWM hospital (01/08/2021). His family reported that he was experiencing shortness of breath one week prior to his presentation. He was not vaccinated;
- A 78-year-old man from Kalabu who died at home on the 01/08/2021. He was not vaccinated;
- An 85-year-old woman from Nasinu who died at home on the 02/08/2021. She received the 1st dose of the vaccine in early August. She did not receive the second dose of the vaccine. This means that she was not fully vaccinated;
- A 67-year-old woman from Nabua who died at home on the 01/08/2021. She received her 1st dose of the vaccine in mid-July. She did not receive the second dose of the vaccine. This means that she was not fully vaccinated;
- A 65-year-old man from Sigatoka. He was declared dead on arrival by the attending medical officer at the Sigatoka Sub-Divisional Hospital. This means that he died at home or on his way to the hospital. He was not vaccinated;
- A 48-year-old woman from Nabena Village who died at home on the 02/08/2021. Her family reported that she had a cough, fever, shortness of breath and chest pain for one week prior. She was not vaccinated; and
- A 54-year-old man from Cunningham who died at home on the 31/07/2021. He was not vaccinated.
Dr Fong said there had been three more deaths of COVID-19 positive patients but their deaths have been classified as non-COVID deaths by their doctors.
He said with today’s newly-reported deaths, there had now been 261 deaths due to COVID-19 in Fiji, with 259 of those deaths recorded during the outbreak that started in April this year.